A digital book, also called E-book is an electronic file containing text in digital form.
The advantages of digital book
- Accessibility: It can be purchased 24/24 hours and 7/7, anywhere in the world and downloaded in minutes. Accessibility can gather a lot of literary works in a much smaller space than a library. All these works may be submitted by distributors at lower prices.
- Space-saving: the digital library can fit all his or her favorite books in a single file.
- Interactive: The software for reading digital books allow to benefit from many features that do not exist with traditional books ;. One possibility is: to enlarge the font size, search for words throughout the text, use navigation features hyperlinks within the book or to websites as a definition / translation of a word, add personal notes ... Given memory capabilities of computers and mobile devices reading digital books almost completely solve the problem of archiving.
- Economic : space and paper.
- Weight: that of reading support.
All these books are attached to the account of the buyer. So, in case of breakage of the device, it is possible to download at no additional cost on a new device.
- Comfortable to read in sunlight as the light of a bedside lamp without eyestrain.
- Upgradeable: add the ergonomics of the object, the preservation of comfort reading through the digital ink technology, and scalable capacity through adaptation to the computer world.
Easy access to a large number of books for a single shot, saving paper, saving space are arguments for the eBook. . The digital book can reach a strength of conviction higher than other media. It combines the text with the image and sound. All themes are represented as history, novel, philosophy, psychology ... to name only a few. Comics, newspapers, magazines, etc, they too are part of the digital reading. And even textbooks find their place because it is not uncommon for textbooks with errors or concepts that have evolved and are no longer accurate. The process of updating a traditional textbook is heavy and takes time. Digital versions are much more flexible and easy to level.
The economics of printing and mailing costs, allows the publisher and the author to share the selling price and inverse the relationship between copyright and remuneration of the publisher whose financial risk is now reduced or non-existent in the long term. An author who earn between 5 and 15% on the traditional book can save up to 75% on the price of digital books All this benefits the consumer. . In this time of crisis or permanent reduction in purchasing power, it is not negligible. And with digital books and the reduction or loss of financial risk, an unknown author can try his luck. The public is restored to its natural role as a judge and that is certainly a plus for democracy. There are many sites that offer free both old and recent books.
Digital books and ecology
A digital book is available online and therefore requires no movement and no storage space. It does not imply the destruction of forests to make paper or solvents for printing ink, or gasoline or diesel to deliver books in bookshops and its distribution is worldwide. It is widely believed that the production of a digital device for example is much more expensive to the environment than printing a single paper book. However, because we buy once a digital device for storing amount of electronic books (about 200 depending on the model), and we bought several units paper books per year (16 per year in some countries), the balance should tilt on the side of the digital version.